Conditions That Qualify for Medical Marijuana Card in California

Sample California Medical Marijuana ID Card

California is one of 17 states that have enacted laws favorable to medical patients seeking to use marijuana to relieve pain and symptoms from serious conditions where traditional drugs and treatments have been ineffective.  A medical marijuana identification card offers those that are seriously ill a confidential method to verify to law enforcement officials that they qualify for the use of medical marijuana.

In order to be considered for qualification for a marijuana card, patients need to have medical records or a doctor’s recommendation that determines they have one of the following conditions:

Other conditions that might qualify, according to the Marijuana Medical Program (MMP) in California, are “any other chronic or persistent medical condition that limits the ability of the patient to conduct one or more major life activities as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, or if not alleviated, may cause serious harm to the patient’s safety, physical, or mental health.”

Uses for medical marijuana and state regulations vary, but California doctors who write recommendations for marijuana use will generally do so for conditions diagnosed such as those above.  The conditions must be determined by a physician, who in turn writes a certified recommendation for the use of medical marijuana as part of your treatment plan.  With this recommendation and after signing an authorization for medical release of information with your treating physician, you may find out how to apply for a medical marijuana identification card in your county of residence through the California Department of Public Health Medical Marijuana Program website.

To apply for a medical marijuana card in Marin County, the patient or caregiver can request an application through the Medical Marijuana ID Program, provided by the Marin County Department of Health and Human Services. In Marin County, the fee for a medical marijuana card is $113, the medical fee is $56.50.  The cards are valid for one year, and must be renewed annually.

If you have any further questions of medical conditions that qualify for medical use of marijuana or how to apply for a medical marijuana card, please contact us.  Our website is also full of essential information regarding medical marijuana, including a list of San Francisco or Marin County doctors that write medical marijuana recommendations.

Note:  Other counties in California that provide medical marijuana identification cards are:  Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Butte, Calaveras, Contra Costa, Del Norte, El Dorado, Fresno, Glenn, Humboldt, Imperial, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lake, Lassen, Los Angeles, Madera, Marin, Mariposa, Mendocino, Merced, Modoc, Mono, Monterey, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Placer, Plumas, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Solano, Sonoma, Stanislaus, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne, Ventura, Yolo and  Yuba.


38 thoughts on “Conditions That Qualify for Medical Marijuana Card in California

  1. Is asthma a qualifying condition? I’ve had it my whole life and trust me, it ain’t easy being weezy…but seriously it’s hard to manage.

      • I just have to say. I have self treated with cannabis for most my life. I have/ had severe asthma. I have not had an attack since I started smoking. A matter of fact. I have a device that measures my lung capacity and EVERYTIME I tried this it ends with tge same result. I test in the red on lung capacity before, and above green after.not saying it works for everyone w asthma. But it works great for me. 15 years with no attacks. Before I had to take nebulizer treatments and still had 1-2 attacks a week. Now I dont even need my inhaler unless im sick.

        • Thank you Jessica! It is always a pleasure to hear about people’s successes. We are thrilled to hear that you are continuing to do well.
          The UPG Team

  2. Pingback: Where Can I Buy Legal Marijuana?

    • Hi Alma,
      Here’s a list of approved CALIFORNIA ailments for patients:
      Approved Conditions: AIDS, anorexia, arthritis, cachexia, cancer, chronic pain, glaucoma, migraine, persistent muscle spasms, including spasms associated with multiple sclerosis, seizures, including seizures associated with epilepsy, severe nausea; Other chronic or persistent medical symptoms.

      You shouldn’t have a problem receiving a recommendation here in California. For more on the California laws
      Let us know,
      United Patients Group

  3. I have bi polar disorder and suffer migraines from a build up of anxiety and anger for no apparent reason. Small things trigger this issue like someone slamming a door or eating weird. Those are just two of the billion that run through my mind and body. I self medicate occasionally with weed and I instantly have relief of all. I get paranoid of using because it is still illegal in Florida , so I can’t use it as much as I need. Marijuana is the only medicine that works for me. All of these issues lead to back pain and joint pain from built up stress.Does this qualify me?

  4. I was diagnosed with severe depression a few years ago and therapy/antidepressants did not do me any good for the years I was being treated. I’m beginning to suffer from mild anxiety; I don’t always feel anxious but when I think of certain scenarios and memories, I freak out a little. My breathing gets panicked and shallow and I feel nervous and as though I will cry and that my situation is hopeless. Also, though I am very overweight, I don’t always feel hungry; I may go 30+ hours without eating before I notice. And then I binge on a large amount of food or eat a small meal and walk away, knowing that I am still hungry. In addition, getting to sleep is getting increasingly difficult for me. Would I qualify? Im unsure since I do not have any of the listed ailments.

    • Hello Megan, As you know, we are not doctors here at UPG but we like to pass on information that we have come across or feedback from other patients. As for anxiety, here in California, you would meet the requirements. Depression and weight issues have not been included as of yet. I can chat with you in more detail but your privacy is important.
      Depending on your age, the weight and anxiety can be hormone related. I am saying this becasue I, myself, have just addressed this with my doctors. My hormones were checked and they ALL were at the bottom of the barrel, in turn, I began to experience anxiety and weight gain. I was put on plant based hormones and I am thrilled to say that I feel really good now.
      If you would like to call our offices, I can speak with you directly and in more detail. Our office number is 415-524-8099. I will be in meetings tomorrow between 1:30 and 3:30 but anytime before or after that will be fine. If you would rather stick to email, you can communicate with me at
      I hope this helps,

  5. I was diagnosed with a herniated disk can that be a legit reason to get me mj card? And where can I apply in contra Costa county

    • Hello Hector, Yes, a herniated disc does meet the requirements for an MMJ card. You can get your card at the Concord location of Go online, fill out the forms and bring them in to your appointment.
      ~The UPG Team

  6. I have social anxiety and it has gotten to the point where if I am even just a few minutes late to class, I get so freaked out that people might stare while I walk in, that I end up trying to open the door and breaking into a sweat. There have been too many times where my college professors and academic director would walk out to find me hyperventilating and crying in the hallway. Once I had so much anxiety that I was even allowed to do my classwork in a separate empty classroom. Ive also broken down crying right after walking into the wrong class. I have failed more than one class because of this anxiety. I also have chronic insomnia which developed when I was in fourth grade. It got to the point where while I was in high school, I actually started hallucinating. I was always falling asleep during class and being sent to the counselors office. I still do fall asleep during class and have constant bags under my eyes. I also get very irritable for no reason. I have also recently developed a strange infection on my left index finger and do not know what exactly caused it. I’ve had it for about a year now. I do not have any of the conditions listed. Do I qualify? Sorry for the essay.

  7. so I live in California and I suffer from insomnia, do you think this would qualify for a card if I got a doctors note approving it?

    • Casey, Thank you for your inquiry. While we are not doctors here at UPG, we do pass on information that can help you find answers. If you live in California and your doctor approves cannabis for your insomnia, you should be able to attain a cannabis card. Do yo have a letter from your doctor explaining this? If you do, we can help direct you.
      We hope this helps!

      ~The UPG Team

  8. I live in San Diego and I was in a car accident about 6 or 7 years ago. My back and knee were injured and since I have had constant back pain and my knee will occasionally bother me. I work as a courtesy clerk and after lifting cases of water and pushing carts all day sometimes my back hurts so badly that I can’t sleep and can barely move. I was wondering if that is enough to qualify me for a medical card and if so how I would go about getting one?

  9. I’ve had anxiety for 4 years and was diagnosed with PTSD this year and also have a herniated discs. I have medical records on hand since I moved recently back home. Would I qualify? I’m tired of taking pills it seems like that’s all I take and I’ve gone through trials an errors with many so I’m considering medicinal and see if that helps.

    • Rebecca, Much of this will depend on where you live. In California, you would qualify.
      We hope this helps!

      ~The UPG Team

  10. Hello, my name is priscilla and im 19. Ive been having anxiety attacks for the past year and a half now, I think its because ive had so many changes in my life… I went to the doctors and they said to do breathing techniques because they didnt want to start me on prozac, but breathing techniques dont help at all! Im tired of not being able to do things or go anywhere because im CONSTANTLY stressing about things

    • Im having anxiety attacks, by the way. At least once a week I feel noxious and im shaking in my bed. I dont know what to do, I feel helpless and all this anxiety is me feel depressed.

      • What part of California are you from? Because I have the same problem with anxiety and the doctor send me to another doctor and told me that it was nothing but i get really bad chest pain like if i cant breath. To Priscilla

    • Pricilla,
      We are so sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time. We are not doctors but it seems that you should contact another doctor to asses your needs. Thankfully you are in California as many doctors are more open minded here.

      All the best,
      The UPG Team

  11. Hey I’m a 18 year old that has petite seizures and Sevier insomnia would/will qualify me to get a card I’m in the state of Ca Ina town of San Jose so I’m just curious if I can qualify for a card I’m an avid smoker in my personal judgement I feel like it helps me so much but I’d like other opinions on this

    • Moses,
      In the state of California, if you have your diagnosis from your doctor, your condition of seizure should make you eligable for a cannabis card. There are many clinics in San Jose so you should not have a problem. Keep in mind that many dispensaries have a 21 and older rule.

      United Patients Group

    • Manny,
      As far as we can see, PTSD is not included. We have seen doctors write recommendations, regardless, in the state of California. It would not hurt to ask your doctor.


  12. I Hit my ulnar nerve (funnybone) hard enough to cause permanent nerve damage. My left side from head to toe always hurts (nerve pain) since 2012 when I hit my left funny bone. I had a nerve test (EMG) only in left arm and checked out fine. The only proof that I have that I was injured is images of torn tendons from it.? I live CA and I have no insurance. I’d like to get a mar u wannacard for pain. How can I prove I have nerve pain and I’m sure I would qualify for catd

    • Tim,
      If you have any paperwork that shows what you have been through such as your EMG test, that would be helpful. Additionally, anything that shows that you have torn tendons should be sufficient.
      Let us know if you have any problems. Possibly we can recommend a clinic for you to get your card.


    • Tae,
      Qualifying conditions vary per legal state. You could find information with your state health department.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>